Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Inprocessing


Well I've made it to Korea. I'm making this blog so that you as family and friends have a way of keeping up with myself (hopefully Jess soon enough) throughout our time here. I'll try my best to keep it up-to-date.

Here's the brief run down on everything up to this point. I arrived in Korea last Thursday, February 10th. I was told that I would be staying in the luxury hotel Dragon Hill Lodge for four or five days while I inprocessed on the base USAG Yongsang, located near Seoul. What they failed to mention was that it was true for everyone except those who fall under the 2nd Infantry Division. That would be me. The next morning I was shipped off to Camp Stanley which is approximately 20 miles north of Seoul near the city of Uijongbu. This place is not the greatest, but it is what it is. I'll spare you all the boring details, but I'll be here until approximately Feb. 24th just doing paperwork and stuff. I haven't had much interaction with Korea and the outside world due to the fact that we are not allowed off-post for the duration of our stay here. I do hear really nice things about USAG Humphreys and look forward to seeing if they are true.



If you get the chance to try some Korea food wherever there might the place to do so, try Bulgogi. I don't know what it is, but it is awesome. It's some kind of beef (no not dog...it's illegal here to eat it now) on rice or noodles. Sometimes they serve it with cheese....even better.

Tomorrow, Feb. 16th we go on some sort of cultural adaptation tour. I'll write more as I find time. I hope everyone is well and I look forward to connecting with you through this blog. Please keep Jess and I in your prayers as we try to navigate Army red tape, figure out how to get her over here

4 comments:

  1. This is going to be great!!!! I feel connected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh Matthew I miss you already my heart hurts. Please think of me when you're eating bulgigi in ugijonbi. And hold some orphans for me when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mstt: I spent four months at Uijongbu in 1959. It was the home of First Corps Headquarters. The only aviation they had was the Third Light Aviation Section (My outfit)at Uijongbu and an H-21 company somewhere nearby. How cold is it? I love your blog. When will you get to fly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your restaurant story about the Korean BBQ made me think of Ms.Kim and the restaurant she took you, Michael, and myself on Gordon Highway. That is NOT an experience that I ever want to repeat. I am looking forward to seeing and experiencing it all when we come over the christmas holidays.

    ReplyDelete